Table of Contents 1 2 3 4 5 6

At the end of his contract, Bremner sailed for England from Karachi, but not before he had suffered a bout of smallpox, though 'permanent marks were prevented by saturating the face with carbolic oil' (p. 27). His sister had just died in Lucknow. It was April 1888.

In 1889 Bremner decided to return to India and do business in Karachi [Map] on his own account, since he had saved a few hundred pounds. Through a firm in Glasgow, he purchased the necesary equipment, 'just enough to give me a start in business', and also engaged an assistant. It happened, though, that 'after paying for appratus, return package and also my assitant's fare, I stood almost on the brink'. However, two public functions saved the situation for him. 'The new market was opened by the Commissioner and a large body of townsmen attended and were photographed. The other was the opening of the Sukkur bridge across the Indus' by Lord Reay, Governor of the Bombay Province.

The Jhelum River, Kashmir
Business was quite satisfactory for some months, 'but other fields had to be explored o keep work going throughout the year. I decided to move in the direction of Quetta, in the Baluchistan Province. To get there I had to pass through Jacobabad, where an Indian Cavalry and Infantry Regiment were quartered . . .'.
After leaving Jacobabad I soon found myself in Baluchistan. The Introduction was in passing through the Bolan Pass, a somewhat narrow passage with high cliffs on either side and another fifty miles or so brings one to the British capital of the province which was named Quetta' (pp. 29-30).

During his stay in Quetta, the Viceory, Lord landsdowne, was visting the country and was the guest of the Governor, Sir Robert Sandeman. Bremner was invited to photograph the party, which included the Khan of Kalat and his retinue. While there he also photographed the Khojak Tunnel, then under construction.

In 1892 Bremner decided to abandon Karachi, and chose Rawal Pindi for his winter work, 'where there was a large military population'. It was while in Rawal Pindi that he photographed Lord Roberts, [8] then Commander-in-Chief, and also went on a three month tour of India to take photographs for his proposed work: Types of the Indian Army.

After that, and since the albums had to be prepared in England, Bremner gave up business in Rawal Pindi and made a trip to England. On his return to India, he decided to make a home in Quetta. Here a doctor found that Bremner suffered from heart disease, and advised his permanent return to England. However, Bremner decided to go on a three-month tour of Kashmir.

While in Quetta, Bremner occasionally visited smaller military towns in the vicinity, but afte two years he moved once again, this time to Lahore, which had a large civilian population, railway headquarters, a number of military barracks in close proximity, and noblemen and Maharajahs in the province. In Lahore, Bremner's house and studio were 'almost opposite the Roman Catholic Cathedral'. He also recently married. It was 1902. The Viceory, Lord Curzon, had organised a Darbar in Delhi, 'the most remarkable show ever seen in India, so full of Oriental splendour'. Of course, Bremner photographed it all. He also made the acquaintance of the Maharajah of Jind, a ruling prince of Punjab, at the Durbar. Later he was to deal with two other Punjab chiefs - the Nawab of Maler Kotla, and the Maharajah of Kapurthala. [9] >


1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | MAIN


© Harappa 2000